RESOURCES » Work Permits for Students

Work Permits for Students

SHUSD is still processing regular California Work Permits during Hybrid / Distance Learning.  CDE Form B1-1 must be completed by the student, parent/guardian, and employer prior to a work permit being processed and issued.  Please contact your school site to obtain the required forms. Then bring the completed form to your school site office.  For any questions, please contact your school site office.

Work Permit Information
  • What is a work permit and how do I obtain one?
A work permit is a legal document required by the state of California that allows a person under 18 years of age to hold a job. You may get a work permit from your local public high school. There are four steps in obtaining a work permit:
  1. Obtain a work permit application in the office at school site (or the application form may be downloaded from the California State Department of Education website.
  2. Fill out the personal information at the top of the application, get your prospective employer to fill out the information required in the middle portion, and have a parent or guardian sign the bottom portion of the application.
  3. Return the completed work permit application to the school office where the work permit will be processed and issued. Your school may need 48 hours to process the Work Permit.
  4. Bring the typed work permit back to the prospective employer.
****** IMPORTANT REMINDER – You must have a social security card to process a work permit.
  • At what age can I get a work permit?
Minors aged 12 through 17 are required to get work permits before starting a job. A minor under the age of 12 cannot receive a work permit except in the entertainment industry. There are a few exceptions to these rules.

No work permit is required for the following jobs:
  1. Certain agricultural industry jobs,
  2. Odd jobs in private homes such as gardening and babysitting,
  3. Newspaper delivery jobs,
  4. Casual work in a family-owned business, and
  5. Self-employment.
  • Does a work permit require school attendance?
Minors under 18 years of age must attend school to get a work permit. If a student graduates from high school before age 18, he or she no longer needs a work permit. If a student passes the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) or the G.E.D. before the age of 18, he or she no longer needs a work permit. When an employer hires someone under 18 years old who has graduated, passed the CHSPE or G.E.D., the document verifying that fact must be given to the employer as proof that no work permit is required. Minors between 16 and 18 years of age who have dropped out of school must be enrolled in continuation or adult school classes for at least four hours per week before getting a work permit. Emancipated minors must attend school in order to get a work permit. Emancipated minors are those who have gone through court proceedings to be legally separated and freed from the control of their parents for certain reasons. Emancipated minors are still required to get a work permit before being employed but may obtain the work permit without parent consent and signature.
  • What are the determining factors to be approved for a work permit?
In determining whether to approve a work permit, the Superintendent or designee shall verify the student’s date of birth and the type of work permit to be issued and determine whether the student meets any other minimum criteria established by the Board of Trustees. The Superintendent or designee may inspect the student’s records and/or may confer with at least one of the student’s teachers for evidence of satisfactory grades and school attendance and to determine whether the student possesses the motivation and maturity to maintain academic progress while working. (AR 5113.2)
Minors shall not be approved to work in environments declared hazardous or dangerous for young workers or otherwise prohibited by child labor laws. (Labor Code 12901298; 29 CFR 570.33, 570.50570.72)